Document Management Policy | Office for International Students and Scholars
At the University of Nevada, Reno, the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) oversees student and scholar immigration documentation for students and scholars attending the university. The University follows the Nevada System of Higher Education’s records retention policy based on the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). University-specific policies are available in the university’s administrative manual. Within the OISS, we also follow the policies dictated by the US Department of State (DOS) and the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as they apply to immigration information.
- Electronic documents: All international students have an electronic file in the Terra Dotta ISSS system and the OnBase document management system. In each file, the documents received are kept by type of document, such as passport, vaccination, various requests, etc. Each type of document may contain an automated process for retention and disposition, as appropriate, in accordance with NSHE, University, and DOS/DHS policies. The security of each type of document is maintained by the Associate Registrar of Operations in accordance with ILO (Office of Information Technology) security policies.
- Records of student correspondence are retained in accordance with NSHE/University policy within the Slate and TargetX hosted recruitment platforms, TeamDynamix incident management system, Terra Dotta ISSS system and Office 365.
- Electronic documents: All international researchers have an electronic file in the Terra Dotta ISSS system.
- Paper documents: All international scholarship holders have a paper file at the OISS office. In each folder, the received documents are kept by request type, such as DS-2019 form request, registration information, etc. Each immigration type (J-1, H-1B, etc.) contains an appropriate retention and disposition process in accordance with NSHE, University, and DOS/DHS policies.
- Academic correspondence records are maintained in accordance with NSHE/University policy in the TeamDynamix Incident Management System, Terra Dotta ISSS System and Office 365.